Sunday, June 21, 2009

I'm His #1 Fan

"Any man can be a father... but it takes a special person to be a Dad." -Proverb Quotes

***
I grew up with the notion that my dad had the answers for everything. Sometimes, i still think he does.
I went through a (teenage) phase where i did think he was old-fashioned, and i never wanted him to talk to any of my friends. Imagine the horror when he was PTA president at my school and he had to give lectures for assembly... only to my surprise- all the other students thought he was cool. So in actuality, i went through a phase where i was a complete idiot.
Growing up, my dad made sure that we had everything we needed and more. He would pick the shoes that would last a lifetime and i'd insist on the plastic ones that would last less than a month. We wanted to camp out in the backyard, and one day, he decided he was gonna build us a tree house. We wanted to ride our bikes in the backyard, he made us a track- complete with dirt ramps and everything. If we wanted to roast marshmallows on a campfire, he would build us one... even if it was only in our fireplace.
He was such a huge factor as to why growing up was so much fun. I will always be so grateful for that.

He told us stories and jokes all through the night if there was a blackout.
He took us camping, spelunking and hiking. We'd visit caves and rivers up in the mountains. He would take us to the beach for family getaways. All of this was a constant growing up.
He would drive like a maniac to make sure we squeezed onto each other and press up to the sides of the car, and as my mom would scream in the passenger seat, we would only yell for him to go faster. He wouldn't slow down until we hit the lowland. He's still the best driver i know.
He got me into riding horses and bought me a tennis racket when i was 7 to encourage me to play. I never got into tennis, but i named my dog Gabriella (after Gabriella Sabatini).
He made me think i was independent at such a young age... but i think he kept an eye on me, i just didn't know it.
When i started going out on my own, before i left the house he would always tell me, "Run away from trouble... run as fast as you can". Haha. He still says that sometimes.
When i was of age, he started telling me stories of his crazy experiences as a teenager/young adult. I told myself that i would make it a point to make my life interesting just so i could have stories to tell my own kids- stories that were just as good, if not better.

My Dad is Dylan's favorite person. I don't blame him, of course. I already know why. =)
I'm so happy that my dad gets to be a huge part of Dylan's life. I couldn't have picked a better role model.

For everything he has given me and the life that i had because of him- i will forever be his #1 fan. He lived for his kids and raised us with so much love and devotion.
He has the knack for always being right. I guess it comes with age... or um... i mean, wisdom. Taking his advice to heart has only made me better and has only brought good things to my life.
It's always good to know that he still knows what he's talking about... =p haha

I count my blessings because i know there are millions and millions of kids out there who can only dream and wish that they had a Dad like mine.
I can only aspire to be as great a parent as he is, and hope i raise my kids as wonderfully as he has...

Happy Dad's Day Daddy.
I love you. =)

No comments: