Monday, August 10, 2009

Jitterbug of Excitement

I could never sleep before the first day of school. Then again, i have a hard time falling asleep when i'm excited for anything. The thing with life is- you never run out of "firsts". There's always a first time for something.

I don't remember my first day of school. My dad says i didn't cry. Apparently, i went off like it was something i already knew how to do. I've always been like that, i think. I always wanted to appear like i could handle anything that was thrown in my direction. I have my doubts sometimes... but one thing i know i carry well is confidence. When you believe in yourself, it makes a lot of things... well, a lot easier.

Tomorrow is no different. It's my first time as a parent seeing my first child off to school. It signifies time and growth- seeing your kids off to school. One day they're in kindergarten the next day they're off to college.

It's a crazy feeling experiencing the milestones of a child's life. Seeing them turn into their own person right before your eyes. Dylan is nothing short of amazing to me. I would think any child is to the eyes of their parent.

The first time he rolled over, i was the only person there to see it. I screamed with amazement and excitement and i couldn't contain myself. I think i might have even scared him. I shot my parents a text. It was the first of many firsts to come.

The first time he took a step on his own, same story. I watched him with awe and felt like my baby was growing up. To think they fit in your hand at one point in their lives... and one day they're just too heavy to carry. He's gonna be taller than me one day.

I'm gonna fall asleep tonight and wake up in a few hours a different person. I'm gonna remember this day for the rest of my life and remember what all of this meant to me. Not only is my son growing up... but i'm doing some growing up of my own as well.

Let the parenting begin.

No comments: