Thursday, November 26, 2009

Mom Moment

The little things are the things i hope i never forget.
You realize they're not going to stay like this forever.
Someday, this will all be in the past and it'll be a life you can't ever get back.
He's still in it and i miss it already.
For someone so amazing, i consider myself lucky to witness this every single day.

***
My participation for Career Day at Dylan's school was kept quiet as a surprise for Dylan who did not know that his mom would be one of the guest speakers.
The whole day they kept telling the Kindergarten kids that there was a surprise for them. It was especially hyped up for Dylan.

I sit in the Little Theater and hear the kids approaching. I hear the teacher ask Dylan, "Are you ready for the surprise?!?" as they step into the room.
Dylan has the biggest smile on his face as he says, "That's not a surprise... that's just my mom!"

We all laugh.

He walks up to me, with a smile from ear to ear, gives me a hug and a kiss and says, "Hi Mom. Can i sit with you?"

That's my baby.
How i adore him.

***
We're exiting the cab as it stops in front of our gate.
Dylan is thanking the driver for the ride and telling him to take care and be careful.
As the driver reaches over to hand me my change, i smile at him and politely tell him to keep the change.
Dylan, on the other hand, smugly tells the man, "No, thank you. You keep it. I don't need money."
Embarrassed, i just smile awkwardly.
Relieved, my son thinks he has everything he needs.

***
I'm talking to Ian via Skype. It's way past his bedtime. Dylan, as usual, comes over to talk to him. I tell Dylan to tell him to go to sleep.
Dylan looks at Ian and says, "Ian, go to sleep now. You read a book, and then go to sleep."
How sweet he thinks that everybody has the same bedtime ritual as we do.

***
The sun is shining bright. It's 6am and i'm ready to start my day. I open the blinds and let some light in the room. I have my morning coffee and read a bit before i wake Dylan up.
I walk back into the room and start chiming, "Good morning..."
Dylan starts to move. He's waking up.
I sit next to him and wake him slowly.
"Good morning..." I say.
Without even opening his eyes, he says, "It's a foggy day. There's a storm. I'm staying here."
I didn't know they started making excuses to avoid going to school this early.

No comments: