Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Little Prince

Last night, during our last waking hour, Dylan managed to lose the kitchen scissors (which he now says a ghost is using it). We searched the whole apartment to no avail. During our search, however, we found old chocolate melted and smeared on the couch cushions.

I sent him to the room and explained to him, that since he's been told before, that i had to take away some privileges due to his behavior. I took away the use of his DVDs, the internet, and no horseback riding until the weekend. The obvious happens- he starts to cry. He starts to cry a lot, actually.

With all the emotion a 5 year old could muster up, he stares longingly outside the window, tears streaming down his face and he sobs, "No horseback riding anymore... no TV anymore... no internet anymore... I want to leave my mom. I want to move back to Manila".
I tell him he can go, the door is always open, and he can do whatever pleases him. He turns to me and says he wants to stay with me.

(I'll have to admit that even though it was said out of anger and sadness, his words stung a little bit.)

Today, he's aware of the rules. Imaginative play only. He does well. He always has. Dylan has no qualms with keeping himself entertained. But as the day wears on, more toys make their way to the living room. And more toys. And more. Dinner is done and it looks like an army of toddlers have had their way in my living room. I call my 5 year old's attention and tell him it's time to fix his toys. He needs to clean up because he needs to be in the bath shortly.
He lets out a long and exasperated sigh before he sadly announces, "I want my nice Mommy. I want my old Mommy back..."
When he was done (finally), he lets me know by saying, "All done, your highness".

Honestly, where do kids learn all this?

No comments: