Sunday, June 27, 2010

What Are You Gonna Do?

Dylan: Hey mom, your birthday is coming up soon...
Me: Yeah, i know. It's next week.
Dylan: So... is your dad gonna get you balloons? Can i have one?

***

I think i was asked 5x yesterday, "What are you gonna do for your birthday?".
I gave them all the same answer, which was a solid, "I don't know".

In the past 10 years, the yearly celebration of my birth has been met with a ridiculous drunken stupor followed by a senseless hangover. That goes for any celebration, for that matter- New Years, Halloween, other people's birthdays, weddings, breakups, start of vacation, the weekend, etc.

Now, the question is, what am i in the mood for this year? Do i want to take the bus down and revel in the chaos that is Manila? OR do i simply stay home, go about my day like the norm, and enjoy the peace and quiet of Baguio?

I'm turning 27. I don't know what that means, exactly.
It means i'm officially in my late twenties, that's what it means.
Drunken stupor still appropriate? Now that i think about it, it's probably called for.
I get it now... we mourn the loss of our youth. It makes more sense when you think about it that way.

No comments: