Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Want To Play Like I Used To

As you may or may not have noticed, i've been on quite the Art tip lately.
I'm itching to do something creative, yearning for a spontaneous idea and then diving right into it. Specifically, i'd like to do something with paint, pencil, pen, and paper. Not necessarily in that order, but anything of the sort will do.

I used to draw a lot. I used to paint. Somewhere down the line, i lost the drive for it. I'm guessing it was somewhere between binge drinking and being consumed by music.

I had an awesome art teacher in high school. That shouldn't be shocking considering that Baguio is filled with artists of every kind. She was encouraging and critical and specific and honest. I felt like a true artist in her presence. I always looked forward to attending her class. When i left for Manila and enrolled in my new school, i signed up for Higher IB Art for my junior year of high school- that's the highest level of Art you could possibly sign up for. In a class of 300 you'd expect a few artists would be present, of course. It's a given. I was in a class of 12, i think. A class of 12 filled with potential Picassos, Michelangelos and Van Goghs. The pressure to come up with something up to par with my peers was daunting... for the most part, i drew stick figures and dubbed my work as "tribal". I was a fan of collages and splashes of paint- interpretive art. Needless to say, my self esteem got the better of me and i gave up on visual art altogether. I became more of an appreciator rather than a creator.

I would doodle here and there. I've done a few sketches since high school. Nothing i deem fantabulous or anything, but something i could definitely work with.

So here i am, 11 years later.
I have an idea and i think i'll dive right into it.
My walls could use the color.

No comments: