Friday, October 2, 2009

Being a DJ Saved My Life


Hahahaha! (Sorry, i'm not familiar with techno/"raver shit") I used to get the craziest requests as a DJ, as i'm sure all DJ's do. My friends and i who all shared the same profession used to always have a good laugh about this.
Requests would come in napkins, torn pieces of paper, a message passed through the bouncer or waiter, or eager patrons themselves who just cannot, absolutely cannot wait to hear their song.

My personal favorites:
  • Can you play (insert song title here)? (Sure) Like now? (Uh, no... maybe later) Can it be the next song? (No, i can't do that. But i'll be sure to play it later) No, we want it next. Can you play it right after this one? Please?
    • But we're gonna leave soon!
    • But it's my friend's birthday
    • It's our favorite song!
    • Please, we'll love you forever!!!
  • Hi! Can you play that song? (Hums tune)
  • (During HipHop Night) Can you play house? (No...) Well, there's nobody here....
  • Can you change the song? (straight up... haha)
  • (Hands you CD) Can you play 3, 11, oh! and 9?
  • (While A Tribe Called Quest is playing) Hi... can you play some hiphop?
  • Girl: Hi. Can you play something underground?
    • Dj: Underground? Okay... like, what's underground to you?
    • Girl: I dunno... like, Busta Rhymes or something.
    • Dj: (glares)
Once, we got a request for "Low" by Flo-rida (when it first came out) 12 times in one night, all in a stack of bar napkins. All before 12 midnight.
I've cleared the dance floor by playing one of my most favorite songs- Electric Relaxation. *sigh*
The best crowd reaction i've ever received was for a song i didn't even like.
One of the best gigs of my life happened after the club emptied out because i started playing music i actually liked and i was left with 7 genuine people actually appreciating my set. It was better than hearing an entire floor with thousands of people scream to "Ayer".
I have accidentally turned off the turntable in the middle of a song at least 3 times, and i have switched off the wrong turn more than i can remember.
I have hit the needle, thus interrupting a song, too many times.
I have unintentionally played the wrong song at least twice. Which is trippy because i'm expecting to hear another song only to have something completely different play out.
I'm notorious for getting bored too quickly, so i switch songs before the 2nd verse comes on. I know better now.
When i make a mistake, I make a face. Everyone says i shouldn't do that... because it only makes the mistake more noticeable. But i can't help it! Sometimes, i pretend like i didn't do it.
When technical difficulties come up, i turn red and my ears heat up. I wish people would know that the DJ has nothing to do with that. There is no need to "boo".
I like the ritual of setting up and/or packing up. I also prefer to carry my own stuff. I don't know why...
I smoked cigarettes twice as much on the decks than anything else. *tsk tsk*
I started playing with a strict "no-drinking" policy.
At one point i only played drunk.
For a while there, i played better on alcohol than i did sober.
I ended with- "i can drink and play if i want to, but i can be sober too. But drinking passes the time. Being sober makes me so serious. But when i'm sober, i remember what i play. I get really messy depending on how drunk i am. " Someone passes me a drink. "I guess i'll drink"
I ended with- i really have fun doing what i do.

I have great respect for a DJ's "last song for the night"... haha. It tells me things.
If an opening DJ can warm it up nicely- mad props. I was on that rotation for a long ass minute.
If an opening DJ plays all the bangers before the guest headlining DJ- it screams INSECURITY. No joke.
I would expect a DJ to be able to hang a minimum of 3 hours. LOL! Even if you DO only get paid for an hour... you SHOULD be able to hang much longer than that.
A scream of "OH!!!" for a good yet forgotten oldie is much better than the "WHOO!!!" for the newest hit that just came out.
I appreciate compliments and props while i'm playing... but i don't feel the same way when you try to start a conversation. Dude, we're working.
I appreciate drinks being sent over- i don't appreciate you trying to get me to down it in the middle of a mix. Common sense.
When you talk to me and i put my hand up to stop you because i'm in the middle of doing something, it's not because i'm a bitch- it's really because I'M DOING SOMETHING.
Do not touch the equipment. Enough said. haha!
Yes, i know my computer screen is pretty and nice to look at. Take notes while you're at it. I'm not stingy.
If you're not a DJ, why are you in the DJ booth?

The 2 Female HipHop DJ's of Manila are MIA at the moment. Is anybody up for the position?

*sigh*
I miss my job.

No comments: